Metal is one of the most valued products you can recycle. It encompasses so many consumer products. From appliances to cans to batteries and clothes hangers, metal is everywhere. That’s why recycling your Normetals scrap metal Adelaide is important. Not only does it keep this limited supply out of landfills, but also because it can earn you some extra money. In this article, we’re going to show you how to recycle your scrap metal and make money out of it.
Metal Recycling Preparation
- With scrap metal, the general rule is that a product needs to be made of at least 50 per cent metal. Even if other materials like plastics surround that metal, it’s still worth recycling if it’s made mostly of metal.
- If you have stuff with only a small amount of metal bit is easy to remove, you should separate the metal instead. A plastic three-ring binder, for instance, is not scrap metal. But if you remove the metal rings, you now have a piece of scrap metal to recycle.
- Scrap metal is classified as either ferrous (contains iron or steel) and nonferrous (contains everything else). You need to identify whether your metal falls under ferrous or nonferrous. The way to do this is with a magnet. Ferrous metals tend to stick to a magnet; while nonferrous materials don’t.
- You can use our recycling directory to find a Normetals scrap metal Adelaide recycling centre in your area. Once you’ve found one, visit their website to find out their current payouts and the minimum amount of materials that you’ll need to bring.
- Most scrap metal recyclers will require you to bring identification when you recycle. Doing so will prevent people from stealing scrap metal like metal barriers and road signs and selling them for scrap.
Why Recycle Metal?
- Metal is one of the few items in the world that you can recycle regularly and earn money. Keep in mind that you usually get paid per kilogram. That makes scrap metal great as a fundraising opportunity.
- Non-Ferrous Scrap makes up only 10 per cent of the total material that’s recycled in Australia. However, it earns more than have of the scrap recycling revenue.
- Metal is in limited supply, which is why recycling it is very crucial as most manufacturers cannot make more aluminium, steel and copper.
Find Normetals scrap metal Adelaide drop-off locations near you by using our recycling locator. Visit our website now to access this tool.